

The next morning we were told that we would visit a fish farm and a Cham minority village. The fish farm was interesting. We learned that the fish have had a difficult time surviving the pollution in the Mekong Delta, so they make the fish food with antibiotics. In order to get to the Cham village we had to cross a bridge made out of a few planks and sticks. I thought it might be a funny joke that the village plays with the foreigners. They see how many foreigners it takes to before the bridge breaks (kind of like how many straws it takes to break the camel’s back). However, we all safely crossed the bridge. At the Cham village, we watched a woman weaving a silk scarf. It takes three weeks to set up the thread for weaving and 3 months to make the scarf. The woman asked if I wanted to try to weave. I was scared that I would mess up the scarf she was working on, but I decided to give it a try. My first problem was that I could barely fit my legs into the contraption. The Cham women make me feel like a giant. I tried to follow their weaving instructions, but I evidently was not doing it correctly because they kept helping me, and I think the woman removed the part of the scarf that I worked on. I’m pretty sure it would take me much longer than 3 months to make a scarf.
No comments:
Post a Comment